Controlled Vocabulary Management and Publication
Colaborative Management of vocabularies
Controlled vocabularies will be managed through the CESSDA CV Service (https://vocabularies.cessda.eu/#!discover). The DDI Alliance has its own "agency" there and can register persons as editors.
All DDI vocabularies are managed by this agency and can therefore just be published by designated persons.
The CESSDA CV Service offers functionality for creating, editing and versioning/pubishing of vocabularies. It also implements a full translation framework.
Applications could make use of the REST interface for each vocabulary.
Publication on the Alliance website
The publication formats for DDI Controlled Vocabularies will be:
- HTML with all available languages included.
- SKOS XML with all available languages included.
- XML with DDI FragmentInstance containing a CodeList and several Category instances containing all available languages.
The feature for information push on the publication of a new version of a CV is not yet implemented in the CESSDA CV Service. Therefore the DDI CV working group has to perform some manual tasks for bringing a published version of a CV onto the DDI Aliance website. The plan is to minimize the amount of steps. Currently this will include:
- Call of a command line tool with the URL of the vocabulary in the CESSDA CV Service as a parameter.
- Upload the result to the alliance webserver.
- Update the DDI Controlled Vocabulary overview pages.
The steps implemented in the command line tool are:
- Download of the SKOS and HTML representation of the vocabulary. Both contain all available languages.
- Transform the HTML representation to display just one language at a time and offer a language switch.
- Transform the SKOS XML into DDI XML.
- Possibly, these resulting files could be packed into a Zip file for easier upload.